Saturday, January 13, 2007

Gary Numan

So, I was talking with Kathy of purple Sky the other day, and I jokingly said "I want BLOOD to tour with Gary Numan", and she laughed it off a bit more than it was meant to be laughed at. So I asked "What's wrong with Gary Numan?"

"Not my style of music"

"What? Goth/industrial"

"Wait, are we thinking of the same guy?"

This is when i hung my head. This is when I had to inform her that for the past 12 years, Gary Numan has been pumping out phenoenal goth/industrial albums and has more than moved on from the 80's synth pop sound that he pretty much created.

I'm not sure how many of you out there actually know who Gary Numan is period. For those of you who don't know him, he is who Trent Reznor and David Grohl have considered the father of electronic music. He started in the late 70's, but his most familiar work came out in the 80's. His biggest hit was a song I'm sure everyone's heard called "Cars", which I think many of you would recognize better coming from Fear Factory's cover of it (which Numan did vocals for). However, around 1993, he had grown disgusted with his music, and decided to write music that was more true to him. He released "Sacrifce", which took on a much darker tone, and a certainly more gothic feel. Ever since, he has presistently put out quality albums within this genre. I even played him during the goth show last month!

What is disheartening is that most people still recognize him as "the Cars guy" and almost consider him a one-hit wonder. Nothing could be further from the truth. So, when people say that, and don't know what he's gone on to do, and have much success in, I go into full education mode! But, I wrote this for you guys who may not know him at all, so i'll include some links for ya. Please give him a shot! You wont be disappointed!

Cars - Old Gary Numan

Cars - The Fear Factory cover

Dominion Day - The New Improved Gary Numan

Rock Start Journalism Interview - An indepth interview with the man

-Roger

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here in my car I feel safest of all!

-Kat

5:35 PM, January 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home