Friday, April 04, 2008

Roger’s Mix 3: The Sonic The Hedgehog Mix

This one came about in the very beginning of summer break, on the way back from a trip to Key West. The van we were traveling in had a separate tape deck in the back that you could plug headphones into. So, I was back there listening to some random tapes and mix tapes, as well as my portable CD player, when some of the songs I was listening to reminded me of characters from Sonic The Hedgehog, my favorite video game mascot and childhood icon. I remembered the home made Gundam soundtrack my friend Kristen made, and wanted to do something similar for Sonic. As soon as I got home, Roger’s Mix 3: The Sonic The Hedgehog Mix was put together.

The tape version was similar to Roger’s Mix in that it was a mix of music from other videogames’ music, popular songs, and techno mixes. I put together the mix tape as a soundtrack, not labeling songs by their true title, but rather where I wanted them in the Sonic universe (Green Hill Zone, Tails’ Theme, ect). Most of this was due to the fact that, at the time, I had no actual Sonic tunes on CD, and almost wanted to make believe I could carry around Sonic music with me. The mix tape even made references to the Saturday Morning cartoon, as characters like Bunny and Sally had theme songs representing them.

Once again though, with the acquisition of a CD burner in January of 2002, the mix was overhauled. This was the first of the mix tape Roger’s Mixes that I remade onto CD. The biggest reason for this was my discovery of one of the best websites on the net: www.ocremix.org. Basically, this website is a place for amateur musicians to remake or remix videogame songs, and listeners could download their creations for free. Once I discovered this site, and its plethora of Sonic tunes, I had to remake RM3. I decided that for the CD's cover art, I would use the ever enigmatic, but possibly coolest videogame cover art ever, the box art from Sonic & Knuckles.

This version had much more focus on the games, and I included as many Sonic tunes as I could. I did however retain some of the personal character themes, and stages from the mix tape. Showing the times a bit, Limp Bizkit’s My Way represented Knuckles. Luckily, though, this is one of maybe 3 of their songs I can still listen to this day and enjoy. One big hit with the people I handed these out to was Robotnik (now known as Eggman)’s theme. It was a track from the spiritual sequel to Twisted Metal 2, Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012 called “Big Daddy”, which made Robotnik seem like some gangsta pimp. I think it was actually the only real rap song to appear on any Roger’s Mix too.

One track that kinda “WTF”ed some people was my choice to have Linkin Park’s In The End as the ending theme to Sonic Adventure 2. I guess I did that because I was all emo that it was the last game to ever appear on a Sega system… which also had me a bit bitter. At the time, I was stretching the lyrics to be from Sonic and directed to the videogame fanbase for abandoning Dreamcast, which had crazy, original, fun games, for the PS2 (which had a very very lame launch series of games) out of mere name recognition, there-by killing Sega.

This mix actually ranks in my top 3 favorites. Its tracks I still listen to, to this day. Not only that, but it also spawned what became my online-gaming battle anthem (especially during my Return To Castle Wolfenstein days), Super Sonic [Brainbug Remix]. It’s the track I play every year at the Temple of Sephiroth in December, asking the fanbase if they know who the artist is. It also was one of the first personal mixes I made, as Sonic is really special to me, and is pretty much the inspiration for everything I’m doing right now.

Tracklist (Original Mix Tape)
Unknown

Tracklist (CD Re-vision)
01. Sonic The Hedgehog - Main Theme (Super Sonic Dance Attack Remix)
02. Sonic CD - Sonic Boom
03. Sonic Adventure 2 - City Escape (Jet Moto 2 - Track 2)
04. Knuckles Theme (Limp Bizkit - My Way)
05. Razed In Black - Open Your Heart (remix)
06. Sonic & Knuckles - Flying Battery Zone (Jivemaster - rAAw Battery)
07. Unknown Author - Super Sonic [Brainbug Remix]
08. Tails Theme (The Mighty Mighty Bostons - Rascal King (live))
09. Sonic Adventure - Speed Highway (Motorhead - Ace of Spades)
10. Sonic The Hedgehog - Scrap Brain Zone (Jivemaster - Particle Brain)
11. Sonic The Hedgehog 3 - Bonus Level (McVaffe - LatinSphere)
12. Robotnick Theme (Rouge Trip - Big Daddy)
13. Sonic The Hedgehog 3 - Ice Cap Zone (McVaffe - Icecapped)
14. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - The Marble Garden (remix)
15. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Ending Theme (Remix)
16. Sonic The Hedgehog 3 - Ending Theme (Jivemaster - Tight Finale)
17. Sonic Adventure 2 - Ending Theme (Linkin Park - In the End)
18. Sonic Theme (Crush 40 - Open Your Heart)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home