Sunday, April 06, 2008

Paint It Black: Roger's Mix IV

Just before my 10th grade year ended, I had a big falling out with the friend that inspired the first Roger's Mix. However, we wound up having our Political Science class together the next year. At first, I was just letting bygones be bygones, but we wound up being on friendly terms again. When we did, he kept going on about a program called Kazaa and all of the hilarious stuff he was finding on it, more specifically AMV's (a DBZ clip where the dubbed over the "WAZZZZUP" commercial). I wasn't much for file sharing then, but after hearing all about this content before there ever was a Youtube, I had to give it a shot. What I found was not only funny AMV's, but music I was never exposed to in the form of videogame remixes, soundbites, and, especially, orchestral renditions. And when I finally got my own CD burner, it was time to take Roger's Mix to a new level.

January 2002 - Paint It Black: Roger's Mix IV

Kazaa opened up nearly infinite possibilities for the mix albums now. I was no longer limited to what I had already on CD. I could now go out and find the music I wanted to really put on the CD, as well as accidentally come across some tracks I never even new existed. Simply typing in words like "videogame remix" yielded a plethora of musical choices for the mixes now. All I had to do was choose the ones that best fit the album. As mentioned before, the driving force of this album was my discovery of fully orchestrated renditions of videogame songs, specifically from the Orchestral Game Concert series. This were beautifully done, professionally scored, adaptations of many of Nintendo's greatest musical pieces, mainly from the 16-bit era (God I miss ye).

Due to the amount of material I had for this, and all of the bases I wanted to cover, I made this mix a double album. With no real theme behind it, it kinda returned to the feeling of the first one, Though I experimented a bit more with giving the songs of the mix a natural flow. The first disc did this well, but the second disc really feels like 2 parts, with one hard transition in the middle. I chose the Rolling Stones' Paint It Black as the title track for the album coz it's the most sinister song ever, and kinda fit my personality during that time of highschool. The classic rock vibe continues, as even Bitter Sweet Symphony is a pseudo Rolling Stones cover. The symphonic work soon dominates the remainder of the CD, with a quick glimpse of what's to come in Disc 2 with Moby's version of the James Bond Theme.

The second CD though quickly picks up where Roger's Mix 2 left off (RM3 was completely devoid of humor) with a clip from the Jerky Boys, which was probably their best clip ever. The entire first half of the second CD was completely dedicated to humor, with the final track of the first half being labeled as "Nirvana! - Enter Sandman". This was indeed the name of the file, but when i downloaded it, it was actually Wesley Willis - Suck my Dog's Dick. Kazaa users were famous for these RickRoll-type antics. I even renamed a file "Dragon Ball Z - Bulma's Theme" which was actually Eddie Murphy's Party All The Time. The second half contained a mix of actual videogame song, remixes, and live band renditions, closing the album with The Vines' cover of Paint It Black. The art work was a pic of Frog from Chrono Trigger looking at Magus's Castle with a black and white color scheme for Disc 1, and Max Payne shooting directly at you for Disc 2.

Paint It Black: Roger's Mix IV wound up being the most popular with the kids around school out of any of the mixes. I guess that was due to it having a little something for everyone. It was a great gateway for the things to come.

Tracklist:
Disc 1
01. The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black
02. Mick Jagger - God Gave Me Everything i Wanted
03. The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
04. Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear The Reaper
05. Aerosmith - Dream On
06. Castlevania - Bloody Tears (Metal mix)
07. Tokyo Symphony Orchestra - Theme of Chrono Trigger
08. Tokyo City Philharmonic Orchestra - Theme of Samus Aran, Galactic Warrior, Big Boss BGM, Ending
09. Tokyo City Philharmonic Orchestra - The Legend Of Zelda Theme
10. Tokyo City Philharmonic Orchestra - Medley (Super Mario Bros.)
11. Tokyo City Philharmonic Orchestra - Star Fox Theme
12. London Philharmonic Orchestra - Time (as made famous by Pink Floyd)
13. Nobuo Uematsu - Aeris Theme (Piano rendition)
14. Beethoven - The Moonlight Sonota
15. Moby - The James Bond Theme

Disc 2
01. The Jerky Boys - Terrorist Pizza
02. The Minutemen - Corona
03. CKy - Santa's Coming
04. Unknown Author - Vegeta's Gay
05. Unknown Author - Resident Evil Sex Scene
06. Unknown Author - Krillin Prank Phone Call
07. System Of A Down - The Legend Of Zelda
08. CKy - Fat Fuck
09. Brandon Dicamillo - Chinese Freestyle
10. Nirvana! - Enter Sandman (Wesley Willis - Suck My Dog's Dick)
11. Star Fox - Corneria (Techno Remix)
12. Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night - Lost Painting
13. Unknown Author - Lost Painting (Piano rendition)
14. Unknown Author - Mega Man 2 Main Title (Rave Remix)
15. The Minibosses - Metroid
16. Kimmo Kajasto - The Max Payne Theme
17. The Vines - Paint It Black

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home